With health as one of the top-most concerns of the family, many types of diet have risen in the market to meet the demand. Among all those diets, the vegetarian diet is one of the most popular and deemed to greatly help in meeting the nutritional needs of people of all ages, whether young or old, man or woman, pregnant or sickly.
Vegetarian diet is about eating meals that consist mainly of vegetables and fruits, although there are types of vegetarian diet wherein dairy products and eggs are also included. The main point of this diet is to know your nutritional needs and choosing the right foods that will sustain your body’s needs.
Types of Vegetarian Diet
The very first thing that you need to do is to know and understand the kind of vegetarian that you want or you can. Sometimes, it is hard to let go of meat or eggs or dairy and just eat vegetables and fruits especially if your diet before primarily includes them. If that is the case, you can try some types of vegetarian diet stated below:
• Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian—allows dairy products and eggs
• Lacto Vegetarian—allows dairy products such as cheese, milk, yogurt and butter, but not eggs
• Ovo-vegetarian—allows eggs, but not meat, poultry or fish as well as dairy
• Vegan diet—does not allow foods such as meat, fish, poultry, dairy and eggs or products that have them in it
On the other hand, if you really can’t let go of meat, poultry or fish, you can opt for the semi vegetarian or flexitarian diet, which is primarily plant-based, but allows little quantity of meat.
Once you identify the type of vegan diet that you want, next is that you should know the nutrients that your body needs and adequate amount of them. Just because you are eating vegan diet does not mean that your body is able to get enough nutrients that it needs.
The good thing with vegan diet is you are able to choose between varieties of foods. Since there is no single type of food that is able to give your body all the nutrients it needs, your body has to eat a lot of different types of foods. The problem, however, in switching your diet to vegan is that it becomes difficult for you to get all the amount of nutrients that you need. In that case, you have to first know what kind of plant foods can be a good source of essential nutrients.
Tips on How to Become Vegetarian
If you are thinking of starting to live healthy and you chose the vegan diet as a start, here are some of ideas as to how you can get started.
• Gradually increase the meatless meals that you eat, so your taste buds can slowly get used to eating plant-based foods or foods without meat in them.
• Try to learn substituting your favorite meals without meat. You can also experiment creating your own meatless recipes.
• Learn from others, ask for advice from nutritionists and other experts or surf the net for more tips about vegan diet and how you can effectively incorporate them in your lifestyle.